20 September 2021

Letters from Levi Yitzkhak Lederman, 19 October 1911

This post continues translation of letters and postcards in Yiddish (and, sometimes, Hebrew) sent by Levi Yitzkhak Liderman to his son, Morris, who was settled, initially, in New York City in 1910. For further background, see the first post in this series. By September 1911, Morris had moved to Lynn, Massachusetts.

For links to other posts in this series, scroll to the bottom.
 

Several people have noted that Levi Yitzkhak's cards and letters include both Yiddish and Hebrew. Translation is an art. Any comments or clarifications by Yiddish and/or Hebrew speakers/translators are welcome. There are quite a few places in this particular letter where the exact meaning could not be discerned.



Addressed to:

M. Liderman
108 Blossm Street [Blossom Street]
Lynn, Mass.
America

Postmarked: 
19 October 1911 (Russian/Julian date), Polonnoe

Translation

Translation by Esther Chanie Dushinsky

[Notes in blue as well as those at the end of the post are mine. For ease of reading, I have added paragraph breaks in the translation.]

[side 1]

Wednesday, Parshas Lech Lecha, October 31 English, 18 Russia [1] 

My dear and beloved son, who sweetens my soul, Mr. Mosheleh, should live. I received your closed letter that you wrote on Thursday, fourth day of Chol Hamoed Succot, the 12th of October English, at my home. It got to my home in Annopol [written in shorthand] on Friday _____, the 27th of October, English. Mother, should live, sent it to me here in Polonnoe.

 

Mother writes that it gave her sustenance to read your sweet words. And I am also saying, myself, that you revived my soul too and saved me [?]. Thank you and praise, you say that you prayed with other Jews on the holy Yom Kippur. It should be His will that our prayers should be accepted. 

 

My son, you write that your apartment is from someone from Polonnoe etc., his wife is the daughter of Naftali the writer. I searched here and I researched very well and there is no one with such a name here. I gather that an error fell from you pen and your quill. 

 

You wrote that you took apart  [or unloaded] - the "Laptzerdok" - for what reason? [2] With Montchik _____ _____ you wrote that _____, give him thanks and praise in my name. 

 

At our end, there is still no news, and everything is as it was. Gershon still did not give money from day to day, and said that he will give. And up to now, as long as the price for the house is not in my hands, I won't be able to _____ _____ [have a court case?]. _____ to decide if in Polonnoe or in _____.[3]

 

From Zeidel we haven't had a letter since after Yom Tov. I wrote your address to him, still during the Yom Tovim when I was still home, with the goal that he will come to you and now _____ the your letters with my letters. Love and friendship _____ _____ beloved. Maybe you received some letter. And the fact that I don't have a letter from him the entire time, isn't _____ on what to rely, if they always blame [?] you _____ big and isn't used to come from time to time. Often in the letters, or maybe in another way, it's represented there. Not _____, as long as he doesn't have a job [?] _____, as _____ and for this, the same thing is written.

 

[side 2]

 

I'll also say that in your letter that you sent $12 to _____ and will fulfill your words that you will write the truth always. And according to this calculation, as well as from all your letters until now, that it is the entire truth, you should have money already. My dear son, _____ _____ _____, you [?] asked innocently if I had some goal. No, my son, no, no, but really no. And it was yours, which is yours. But my soul wants to know the truth about your situation and your goals. I wish you would have money, I would be pleased. This is what gives me life. And so, my son, write all the details, and I will know. 

 

Mother writes that every week she sends a letter to you, to uncle, and ____ ____. I just wrote to mother that she should also write to him often.

 

Your father who wants your good forever and ever, Levi-_____. 

 

Notes

 

1. The Torah reading for Parshas Lech Lecha is Genesis 12:1-17:27.

 

2. Lapserdak is a long men's overcoat that reached the knees or ankles. Since Levi Yitzkhak put the word within quotation marks, I think he was not referring literally to a lapserdak, but, to some item of Morris (Moshe's) clothing. In previous letters (21 February 1911 and 8 March 1911) we learned that Morris had purchased a suit. Perhaps this refers to the suit.

 

3. In previous letters Levi Yitzkhak and his wife had not yet decided whether to move to Polonnoe or Baranovka (where their daughter, Feiga Grinfeld resided) after they sold their house in Annopol. 

 

Posts in This Series


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!