31 January 2021

Letters from Levi Yitzkhak Lederman, 11 September 1911

This post continues translation from Yiddish and analysis of letters sent by Levi Yitzkhak Liderman to his son, Morris, who was settled, initially, in New York City in 1910. For further background, see the first post in this series. With this letter, we find Morris has moved to Lynn, Massachusetts.

For links to other posts in this series, scroll to the bottom.

As noted previously, translation is an art. Any comments or clarifications by Yiddish speakers/translators are welcome.


Addressed to:
Mr. Morris Liderman
108 Blossm Street [Blossom Street]
Lynn, Mass.
U.S. of America

Translation

Translation by Esther Chanie Dushinsky

[Notes in blue as well as those at the end of the post are mine. For ease of reading, I have added paragraph breaks in the translation.]

[side 1]

September 22, English, 1911

Friday, Erev Rosh Hashanah, should come upon us in goodness, year 5672

My dear and sweet son, the apple of my eye, Mr. Mosheleh, may you live.

Today is the eve of Rosh Hashanah, and I am home [in Annopol, Ostrog uyezd]. I came yesterday in the evening to celebrate Yom Tov [a good holy day]. With gratitude and praise to God, I found everyone at home healthy and whole.

As soon as I arrived home, mother gave me your letter that you sent, which included the letter to Moshe, son of Gershon, as well as the letter I sent to Moshe, son of Gershon, is with mother. I read every loving, pleasant word of yours and was very happy.

Let us pray to God, and may it be His will that we should see each other face-to-face in life and in peace. And now I, your mother and Sarah'le [Moshe's sister who still live with their parents] are coming to bless you with wholesome blessings that it should be a good new year. May this year start with blessings. I am wishing you blessings from the core of my heart.

Today we received your letter dated 7/9 [7 September] English, where you mention that you received my letter where I mentioned the Prizev that is from today two years.[1] Meaning 1913. And so, from your words I gather that you are happy about this. 

From Zavel [Moshe's brother] we also received a letter today. He writes that he has a job there for 25 a month. And now he is considering getting into business with a businessman named Madanski. He got Protekzia [favored treatment] from Khudosh [probably a surname] - from Shepetovka, that he is a relative of Madanski. And he wrote a positive recommendation _____. I, too, from my side, sent him on Wednesday, yesterday, a positive recommendation with someone from Polonnoe. He is the brother-in-law of Madanski, and he also wrote a recommendation that he should see to give him a job in his business. That in the name of this, and if God will help, his luck will get better. It is time, I believe.

At home I found that mother sold the house to Gershon'n recently for 440 and the deal is that during the Yomin Tom, we have to sit at home. 

Right now, about our plans, we didn't discuss yet where we will go, to Baranovka or Polonnoe, because we didn't find the right moment yet. I only came home yesterday evening. At dawn I was at Slikhus - "Remember our covenant" - Today it is indeed the time to prepare for Yom Tov.[2] From my side, and mother, should live, from her side is cooking and baking, etc...

Happens to be now, when I am writing this card, I just came from _____ _____ [Pinkhas? M___ ]. It's 4 pm now. Mother, should live, is sleeping now in her room. I woke up for Slikhus and she was standing at the oven, baking, cooking the good food in honor of Shabbos and Yom Tov. 

Mother just woke up and I let her know I am writing this card to you. She started sending you blessings, blessings and blessings. I will end, _____ _____ [cut off]

[side 2] 

I, mother and Sarah are asking you that you should write to us all the details about Yom Tov. How did you spend your time, where did you pray, and how did you pray and where do you live, how many people and how much does it cost? Do you have a good bed, what about food and sleep, etc.?...Bottom line, Moshe, do us a favor and write about everything in details. Only the truth, only truth.

Your father _____ _____

Notes:

1. Prizev (призыв) refers to the Russian military draft. Levi Yitzkhak wrote to Morris about this previously in his letter of 5 August 1911.

2. Slikhot, in Ashkenazi Jewish tradition starts the Saturday before Rosh Hashanah (or at least 4 days before the holiday). Worshipers recite penitential poems and prayers.

Posts in This Series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!