22 August 2020

Letters from Levi Yitzkhak Lederman, 21 May 1911

This post continues translation from Yiddish and analysis of letters sent by Levi Yitzkhak Liderman to his son, Morris, who was settled, initially, in New York City in 1910. For further background, see the first post in this series

For links to other posts in this series, scroll to the bottom.

As noted previously, translation is an art. Any comments or clarifications by Yiddish speakers/translators are welcome.



Postmark

21 May 1911, Annopol, Wolin G. [Volhynia Gubernia]

[This is the Julian calendar date, which was in effect in the Russian Empire at this time. The letter was written two days earlier on 19 May 1911. The equivalent in the Gregorian calendar (in use in the United States, then and now) was 1 June 1911.]

Addressed to:

Mr. J. Simberg
134-136 Cannon Street
New York
U.S. of America
for Morris Lederman

Translation

Translation by Esther Chanie Dushinsky

[Notes in blue as well as those at the end of the post are mine. Levi Yitzkhak tried to squeeze as much on the card as possible and did not break the text into paragraphs. For ease of reading, I have added paragraph breaks in the translation.]

Thursday, eve of Shavous, May 19, 1911[1]

My dear and beloved son Mr, Moshe, greetings and blessings, should live. I am currently in my home.[2] I came yesterday afternoon with the train, 4th class, at 4 in the afternoon, to _____ [looks like Sloshtin]. I found 2 cards from you, and I read that what you wrote in your letters, that your pay is currently $7.50 a week, I will comfort you and say that it should be His will that you should find favor in the eyes of God and mankind. That your situation should change for the better with blessings and good luck, amen.

In our house, thank God, everyone is healthy and whole, and I hope to hear the same from you.

Why, my son, wouldn't you write to us what work you do. Is the work itself ____ [OK?]. You seem to _____, or is a different job possible?

Here there is some new awakening. A new wedding, I wish that this is a sign of good things coming. Gittel daughter of _____ [Toba or Tuvya/Toivya] got engaged. Her groom is a businessman. They say that he is a big businessman, and all his _____ [projects?], he is _____ [mektranas?] _____ [Russian word].[3]

In the beginning, Zanvel asked him if he can find him some work or job, or something.[4] Now he has asked him to come, and has a project that is ongoing since before Pesach.[5]

When Zanvel got this offer he sent a letter to Polonnoe to me _____ that I should help him with 50.[6] Faiga'n - he says, you gave.[7] Moshe'n to travel to America, you gave. Why am I the sacrifice!!! While I was reading the letter, I cried bitter tears. What should I do? The truth is that I _____ [faded and creased] a letter that when I will come home after Shavous, I will give

[second side]

to perhaps figure it out, Now he traveled to Faiga'n, she should help him with 20 X 30 rubles. He wants to make some clothing, because he can't travel like a shlepper [beggar]. He just now, at this moment, arrived back home and she didn't give him anything. She sadly can't help him. It's _____ can't invest. The expenses are great, may there be no evil eye [kein ayin hora]. And now I don't know what we can do. She promised she will give him, but at a later time, in a while. He can't wait, because we received another letter from Gittel's groom that he should travel. He writes that he can't seem to find a job, but that he should come anyway and he will try to find something for him to occupy himself. He guarantees

[upside down]

that it will work out.

Your father _____  _____

Mama and _____ [Zanvel?] Sarah are greeting you.

Notes:

1. Shavuous (Shavuot) is the Jewish holiday commemorating the day the Jews received the Torah on Mount Sinai.

2.  Home, at this point, was in Annopol (today called Hannopil), in Ostrog Uyezd, Volhynia Gubernia.

3. The word in Russian is 

To me this looks like ектримислав [ektrimislav] (the two lines at the end are part of the previous Yiddish word). I believe it should probably be Ekaterinoslav - a city later now known as Dnipro or Dnipropetrovs'k.

4. Zanvel (sometimes referred to in these letters as Zeidel) was Moshe's older brother.

5. Pesach = Passover

6. Levi Yitzhak Liderman (Moshe's father, the author of the postcard) had been working in Polonnoe (aka Polonnoye).

7. Levi Yitzkhak and Frieda Liderman had four children: Faiga (who lived in Baranovka), Zanvel, Moshe (in New York City) and Sarah (still at home with her mother in Annopol).

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts in this Series

"Letters from Levi Yitzkhak Lederman, 19 October 1911"  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!