11 February 2021

Letter from Frieda Lederman, date unknown (ca. 1910-1913)

All the letters saved by Morris (Moshe) Lederman from his first few years (1910-1913) in the United States, except one, were from his father Levi Yitzkhak. Although Levi Yitzkhak's correspondence makes clear that Frieda Simberg Lederman, Moshe's mother, was sending letters to Moshe, the letter presented here is the only one passed down to his family. Unfortunately, the letter is not dated.

While I have been posting the translated letters in the order written, I thought I'd share this undated one now because, in the last letter about which I blogged, Levi Yitzkhak remarked that Morris' mother was uncommonly devoted to her youngest son. 

One thought I have had while reading these letters is that Moshe never did return to his home and see his parents. Their only wish was to see Moshe happy and successful - emphasis on the "see." They never did have that opportunity.

The letterhead on the stationery is for The First Russian Insurance Company. Established in 1827.

Translation

Translation by Khane-Fayl Turtletaub

To my dear son Moyshe _____ May he live and be well,

The first thing I want to write to you is that we are thank God well. May God grant that we hear the same from you. It's been quite a long while since we've had a letter from you. Why is this? 

There is no news at all to write about us. Things are as they have always been. [We are] worried and condemned [sic]. All [we worry about] is you, my dear child.

Secondly, I want to write that I cry for myself that I let you travel, but what can I say? God told us to do this. Now I pray to God that He will let me live long enough to see you under good circumstances during my lifetime, because what I have now is not a life, since I don't see you. 

If I knew things were good for you, nothing else would matter. But I know things are not good for your either, and so my heart is very embittered, because you are my whole life, my whole world and no one can comfort me when it comes to you. 

I am not like other mothers. I pray to God day and night [to keep you well]. Stay as well as your mother prays from the depths of her heart,

Freydl Liderman

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts in This Series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!