08 April 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: Sarah Myers

In keeping with my recent theme of "who-were-these-people-anyway?" I today present: Sarah Myers - buried, like all my Myers relatives, in the First Lubiner Progressive Benevolent Association landsmanshaft plot at Montefiore Cemetery.

Photo by Emily Garber, 7 September 2008
MOTHER
Here lies
Sarah daughter of Zise
Died 9 Tammuz 5747
BELOVED MOTHER
SARAH
MYERS
DIED
JUNE 18, 1956
AGE 88 YEARS

Having access to these type of records is surely the gift of going to a cemetery,  photographing the gravestones in an entire plot, transcribing and translating them, and then preparing the information and submitting it to the JewshGen Online Burial Registry (JOWBR). I have several times been able to go back and find relatives among those interred - relatives I did not know I had until well after I'd completed the data collection project.

In this case, I still do not know exactly how Sarah Mogilevsky Myers was related to me. I do know that she was likely an in-law related to me by marriage to her husband, Elias. In trying to figure out my relationship with her son, Sam Myers (who is not interred in this cemetery), I was led to Sarah's identification as his mother and a possible relative.[1]

Sarah, a widow, arrived in the New York Harbor in 1925.[2] She'd left behind a son, Israel Meyers, and joined another son, Schmuel (i.e., Zise or Samuel) in Brooklyn.[3]  

Sam had arrived as Zise Meyers in New York in 1912 accompanying Herschel (Harry) Meyers (brother of my great grandmother Sarah Myers Morris). Both Zise and Herschel said they from Lobin/Labin and were going to meet their brother, Louis Myers.[4] In fact, Sam was from Kamyanets-Podilskyy and was not a brother to either Harry or Louis.

But Sam, like most of the other Myers clan, became a glazier in New York City. 

Sarah is buried in Montefiore Cemetery, Springfield Gardens, Queens, New York, First Lubiner Progressive Benevolent Association plot, Block 89, Gate 156N, Line 8L, Grave 3.

Notes
1.  Samuel Myers, SS no. 109-28-2478, 1952, Application for Account No. (Form SS-5), Social Security Administration.
Kings County, New York, Certificate and Record of Marriage no. 2284 (10 February 1917), Samuel Myers and Esther Newman, Municipal Archives, New York City.
2. "New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 17 November 2010), manifest, S.S. Veendam, Rotterdam to New York, arriving 7 June 1925, p. 1, Sarah Meyers; citing National Archives Microfilm Serial T715, roll 3664. 
3. Sam Myers was located at that same address when he was naturalized. Kings County, New York, Supreme Court, Petition for Naturalization no. 83870, page 20, Samuel Meyers, 1 November 1923; Municipal Archives, New York City.
4. "New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 23 November 2008), manifest, S.S. Noordam, Rotterdam to New York, arriving 27 August 1912, p. 2 (handwritten), p. 112 (stamped), line 5, Zise Meyers; citing National Archives Microfilm Serial T715, roll 1921.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!