24 April 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Adolph Rappaport's Declaration of Intention

Adolph Rappaport was married to my grandmother Tillie Liebross Wilson's first cousin, Clara (Khaitza) Ett. They married in 1903 in New York City. On, October 24 1913, in the Kings County Supreme Court,  Adolph declared his intent to become a citizen.[1]


I, Adolph Rappaport, aged 34 years, occupation button hole maker, do declare on oath that my personal description is: Color white, complexion dark, height 5 feet 5 inches, weight 150 pounds, color of hair black, color of eyes brown other visible distinctive marks none
I was born in Skola Austria on the 16 day of September, anno Domini 1879; I now reside at 94 Tompkins ave, Brooklyn, N.Y. I emigrated to the United States from Rotterdam Holland on the vessel Amsterdam; my last foreign residence was Skola Austria
It is my bona fide intention to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, and particularly to Francis Joseph, Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary [stamped], of whom I am now a subject; I arrived at the port of New York, in the State of New York, on or about the 27 day of May, anno Domini 1900; I am not an anarchist; I am not a polygamist nor a believer in the practice of polygamy; and it is my intention in good faith to become a citizen of the United States of America and to permanently reside therein: SO HELP ME GOD.
/s/ Adolph Rappaport

Subscribed and sworn before me at Brooklyn, N.Y., this 24 day of October anno Domini 1913
Charles S. Devoy, Clerk of the Supreme Court 
---------------------------------------
There are several items of interest in this document. 
  • Despite the information specific to port of embarkation, ship, port of arrival and date of arrival, I have yet to located Adolph's manifest (or, for that matter his wife Clara's). 
  • Adolph's birth and pre-emigration residence location, "Skola," are of interest because they match my information on the location of the Ett family in 1894 (when youngest daughter Jutte Ett Barath was born) and in 1895 (when mother Perl Wenkert Ett passed away). Adolph and Clara married in New York, but, apparently, knew each other from Skole, Ukraine
  • Despite his intention to naturalize, I do not believe either Adolph or his wife Clara completed the process.

Notes:
1. Adolph Rappaport declaration of intention no. 34426 (24 October 1913), vol. 69, p. 426, Kings County Supreme Court; "New York, County Naturalization Records, 1791-1980," FamilySearch.org (https://www.famlysearch.org : accessed 24 April 2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!