14 March 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Ida Myers Death Certificate

Chaye (Ida) Sarah Kesselman Malzmann was my great great grandmother. She was the mother of at least six children, all of whom emigrated to the United States from Labun (also known as Lubin and today known as Yurovshchina, Ukraine). Ida and her husband David arrived in the United States in 1913.[1] Their son Myer had been the first to emigrate and arrived in the United States in 1902.[2] He changed his surname to Myers and all the rest of his siblings and his parents followed his lead.


My great grandmother was Ida's eldest daughter Sarah Myers Morris. Chaye died on 16 November 1926 in the Bronx, New York.

 

Bronx County, New York, Standard Certificate of Death number 8086 (16 November 1926), Chaye Sarah Meyers, New York City Municipal Archives, New York.

Place of Death  Borough of Bronx, 1292 Hoe Av
Character of premises whether tenement, private, hotel, hospital or other place, etc.    tenement 
Registration No.  8068
2. Full Name Chaye Sarah Meyers
3. Sex female
4. Color or Race white
5. Single, married, widowed or divorced: married
6. Date of birth November 1st 1844
7. Age 82 years 16 days
8. Occupation housewife
9. Birthplace Russia
9a. How long in the U.S. 15 y
9b. How long resident in City of New York 15 y
10. Name of father Israel Kestelman
11. Birthplace of father Russia
12. Name of mother Deborah? 
13. Birthplace of mother Russia
14. Special information [blank]
15. Date of Death November 16, 1926

16. I hereby certify that the foregoing particulars (nos. 1 to 14 inclusive) are correct as near as the same can be ascertained, and I further certify that I attended the deceased from Nov 2, 1926 to Nov 16, 1926, that I last saw her alive on the 15th day of November 1926, that death occurred on the date stated above at 8 P.M., and that the cause of death was as follows Myocarditis. Duration 6 mos.

Witness my hand this 16th day of November 1926.
Signature A Epstein, M.D.
Address 982 Jackson Av 
Filed Nov 17 1926 

17. Place of burial Montefiore Cem
Date of burial Nov 17, 1926
18. Undertaker Jacob Blum # 1830
Address 210 E Bway

Side of 2nd page:  
Modern name of mother is not known.

Notes:
1. "New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 2 January 2009), manifest, Lapland, Antwerp to New York, arriving 27 Januaru 1913, David and Chaie Maltzmann, citing National Archives Microfilm SerialT715; Microfilm Roll: 2007; Lines: 15 & 16; Page Number: 19.
2. "New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 13 May 2009), manifest, Lake Ontario, Liverpool to Montreal, arriving 31 July 1902, Myer Myers, Line: 29; Page Number: 1.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Meyer Myers was my great grandfather. I think we have been in touch but am just finding your extensive research online and sharing it with my sons. Thank you!! Anne Lieber-Silverman (Myer to Evelyn to Phyllis to me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anne!
    I am glad you are enjoying the fruits of my labor of love. Yes we have been in touch previously. Please send me an email at extrayad(at)gmail.com

    Emily

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!