05 February 2013

When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 9

When my father died in 2002 and my mother began her precipitous decline (dying eight months later) my brother and I began the arduous task of cleaning out the house. In my mother's dresser drawer I found a packet of twelve envelopes containing letters my father had sent her during their courtship. The letters are sweet and humorous, completely reminiscent of my father's personality. They are a wonderful chronicle of the beginning of their enduring love-affair.
In honor of what would be my parents 66th anniversary on February 9th, I will be posting a letter each day along with an annotated transcription adding additional insights and explication.
____________________________






August 21, 1945

My Dear Norma,

    I am fine and hope that this letter finds you just as well.

    Yesterday I had a long hard day as the air inspector happened to pick our ship. He went over the ship with a fine tooth comb and brought out many things. This meant additional work for us. Naturally, I don't exactly relish the work but I am one hundred percent for keeping the ship in top shape. I used to fly in those things myself and can appreciate good maintenance. At least I try hard.

    I had a dream last night and naturally it was as disconnected as most dreams. I was home and there was a whole mob there. Out of the clear blue sky I found myself lying in bed with the same mob all around me. Then you walked in and told me that you were going to get married to some guy. For some reason I had a very sad expression on my face. Then, I woke up. I wonder how Freud would interpret that dream or is it obvious.

    Yesterday they called all the men with 85 points or over to a meeting. They didn't beat around the bush but stated definitely that the majority of us would be discharged in anywhere from two days to two months. This field is ready to release us and has set the machinery in motion. Our names will be sent to the various separation centers and we will be shipped there as soon as they can handle us. It is entirely up to them, now. This is the first concrete fact we received, yet. I won't get worked up yet because anything can happen in this man's army.

    Our Dodgers are falling further and further behind in the pennant race. Oh well! We can't win them all. Wait till next year. [1]

    That's about it for the present so I'll sign off. Remember me to all.

                                                                                                          Love

                                                                                                          Sonny 

Note:
1. The 1945 Brooklyn Dodgers finished 11 games back in third place in baseball's National League.

Other posts in this series:
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 1
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 2
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 3
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 4 
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 5
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 6
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 7 
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 8
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 10
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 11
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 12 
When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: 66th Wedding Anniversary  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!