09 May 2021

Is this Ruth Resnick Mann?

Well, I know the answer to my question won't be definitive unless I can somehow get Ruth Resnick Mann's family to respond. But I want to know what you think. Here's the entire photo: 

I believe this was taken in Manhattan about November 1922 shortly after my great grandfather, Avrum Garber, arrived in the United States. The get-together was likely in my great uncle Nathan's apartment on Madison Street in Lower Manhattan.

We know the identities of everyone in the photo (all family members) except for the two on the far left: the young man and the girl next to him in the dark dress with the white collar.

I have a hunch based on some DNA matches and paper research. I am still working the DNA angle - need some more people to compare. The chance of locating Russian Empire records to work my hypothesis further are slim. Right now, I just cannot make a conclusive argument.

Here is a closeup:

And here is Ruth Resnick in her 1930 Plainfield High School (New Jersey) yearbook.

In June 1934, she married Louis Mann and became Ruth Mann. 

Is Ruth Resnick of Plainfield, New Jersey, the same person depicted a few years earlier in my Garber family photo? What do you think?

If this is, indeed, Ruth, then what I'd also hope for are some additional photos identifying her father Reuben Resnick. Perhaps the young man is her father Reuben.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!