15 October 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson gravestone, Mount Judah Cemetery, Queens, New York, Section 2, Block 1, Grave 151, Path R06, Berdichev Relief Society, digital photograph by AlbFirefly, 19 September 2012, posted on FindAGrave.com .
When I first began searching for Ben Wilson's grave, I tried several of the inventories posted by some individual cemeteries and found it at Mount Judah Cemetery in Queens, New York. Mt. Judah provides an index, no photos, so I then went to the JewishGen Online World Burial Registry (no grave for Ben included) and then Find A Grave. There was a listing, but no photograph. I posted a request for a photo of the grave. 

AlbFireFly, a frequent Find A Grave contributor was kind enough to fulfill my request. I wish s/he had also photographed Ben's wife's adjoining grave (and shared stone), but I didn't ask for that - so my shame, only.

Ben's grave does not include a Hebrew name (his family must not have known it) nor a patronymic.


WILSON
BEN
BELOVED HUSBAND
MAR. 5, 1891
AUG. 22, 1971

Ben, my grandfather Joe Wilson's younger brother, was the third child and second son of Saul and Hoda Wilson. He was likely born in today's Belarus either in Kozyany or somewhere in the vicinity of Minsk (about 100 miles SSE of Kozyany). [1]

He arrived in New York Harbor with his mother, sister Nechame and brother Josef Wilensky in June 1897. [2] 

In 1914, Ben married Leah Cummings. [3] Like his brother Joe, Ben worked in the sweater industry as a salesman and, later, as a manufacturer.

Ben and Leah had two sons: Howard M. Wilson (31 December 1915 - November 1968) and Marvin "Buddy" Wilson (ca 1920 - ca 2000).

Notes
1. "World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 29 March 2008), card for Benjamin Wilson, no. A234, New York City, Draft Board 149.
2. "New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 7 September 2009), manifest, Pisa, Hamburg to New York, arriving 1 June 1897, list 7, Benjamin Wilensky; citing National Archives Microfilm Serial M237, Microfilm Roll 579.
3. New York County, New York, Certificate and Record of Marriage no. 17171 (2 July 1914), Benjamin Wilson and Lena Cummings, New York City Municipal Archives, New York. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!