29 December 2015

Tombstone Tuesday: Philip and Sarah Schenkerman, Beth Moses Cemetery, Pinelawn, NY

Gosh, I so love grave plantings! I have made it a policy to just say "NO!" when cemeteries ask me if I would like something planted on a loved-one's grave. Usually, when I record graves in a cemetery, I take along pruning shears so I can make the information on the stone readable for the camera.

Unfortunately, the growth on the Schenkermans' graves was more than I could handle. Fortunately, I was able to wrestle the vegetation away from the stone enough to jot down most of the salient information. 

SCHENKERMAN
Here lies
Pinkhas
son of Mordechai
BELOVED HUSBAND
DEVOTED ...
[DIED JULY 11, 1975
AGE 78 YEARS]
----------
Here lies
Sarah daughter of
Avraham Mosche
BELOVED WIFE ...
[DIED SEPTEMBER 18, 1961
AGE 67 YEARS]

I posted previously about Philip Schenkerman's advertisement in the 40th anniversary publication of the First Lubiner Progressive Benevolent Association (FLPBA). I also posted about his father Max Shenkerman's grave in one of the Montefiore Cemetery FLPBA plots, Queens, NY. Philip and his wife, Sarah Tabachnik Schenkerman, are interred in adjacent graves and share a tombstone in the FLPBA plot, Block 24, Maccabee Road, Beth Moses Cemetery, Pinelaqwn, NY.

Philip and Sarah's marriage certificate indicated that Philip's parents were Max (Anglicized from Mordechai) Schenkerman and Dora Kopetz.[1] Sarah's parents were Abraham Tabachnik and Bess Wenger.

I have located records for their children in Ancestry's database for Social Security applications.[2]
  • David Schenkerman 28 June 1919 - 13 March 2003
  • Rose Schenkerman Friedman 5 November 1921 - June 1982
  • Irving Schenkerman 27 May 1926 - 11 August 1986
Notes:
1. New York County, New York, marriage certificate no. 14350 (1917), Philip Schenkerman and Sarah Tabatznik, 9 May 1917; Municipal Archives, New York.
2. "U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007," database online, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 11 October 2015); entries for David Schenkerman, Rose Schenkerman Friedman and Irving Schenkerman. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Emily I'm so thankful to find this blog. I am the granddaughter of Philip schenkerman's son, David. I have a tree on ancestry.com and look forward to adding the names of my great great and great great great grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I named my son Max and it thrills me that that was the name of my grandfathers grandfather as I was very very fond of David. Thanks again. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer:
    Wonderful to hear from you. I hope you will add the surnames you are researching on JewishGen's FamilyFinder for Yurovshchina (Labun). Please also note that I have a webpage for the town at http://www.kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/yurovshchina/index.html
    Contact me at gilah(at)cox.net and I will add you to my Labun researchers' mailing list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am not related by blood. Philip Schenkerman married my grandmother Bella Miller, so he was my step grandfather. They lived in Kerhonkson, NY. He did beautiful wood working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always nice to hear something that one cannot get from just records. I did not discover that he'd married again after Sarah's passing. I hope his descendants have some examples of his work. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!