Gussie Kargman, daughter of Meyer and Goldie, from Labun (Lubin), Russian Empire, married Joseph Schwartz on 31 January 1925. Gussie had emigrated from Danzig with her mother and sister and landed in Boston Harbor on 21 February 1921.
Gussie's naturalization record indicates that Joseph was from Tomes (possibly Tamasi), Hungary.
Gussie and Joseph had two children who grew to adulthood: Shirley (born in 1925) and Milton (1933-2010). Lillian died as an infant on 20 October 1931.
In the late 1930s, Joseph and Gussie moved from Manhattan to Hartford, Connecticut. They opened State Glass in Hartford and their son Milton joined his father in the store after he finished college.
Gussie died in 1951 and Joseph in 1967 in Hartford.
1. New York County, New York, marriage certificate no. 6662 (1925), Joseph Schwartz and Gussie Kargman (31 January 1925); New York City Municipal Archives.
2. "Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 14 December 1910), manifest, S.S. Manchuria, Danzig to Boston, arriving 21 February 1921, p. 3, lines 5, Gisia Kargmann; citing National Archives Microfilm Serial T938, Roll 260.
3. "Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974" digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 14 December 1910); Gussie Schwartz, petition for naturalization no 217437 (1933), Southern District Court of New York; NARA microfilm Series M1972, roll 862.
4. New York County, New York, death certificate no. 24555 (1931), Lillian Schwartz, 20 October 1931; New York City Municipal Archives.
5. 1940 U.S. Census, Hartford County, Connecticut, population schedule, Hartford, enumeration district 10-142, sheet 61B, household 167, Joseph and Gussie Schwartz family; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 9 March 2015); NARA microfilm publication T627, roll 537.
6. "Milton Schwartz," Hartford Courant (Connecticut), 30 April - 1 May 2010; Legacy.com
(http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hartfordcourant/obituary.aspx?n=milton-schwartz&pid=142356408 : accessed 9 September 2015).