18 May 2019

Catch me at Pikesville and Silver Spring, Maryand in the next two weeks!

I will be delivering my presentation, "Memory and Mystery: Breaking Down Family Lore," at two Jewish genealogy societies next week on Sunday and the following week, as well.

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 1:30 P.M., I will be at the Pikesville Library's meeting room, 1301 Reistertown Road, Pikeville, MD for the Jewish Genealogy Society of Maryland.

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 12:00 P.M., I will be speaking at a members' only luncheon for the Jewish Genealogy Society of Greater Washington at the Silver Spring Civic Building, 1 Veterans Place, Silver Spring, MD.

"Memory and Mystery" discusses those family stories many of us have and how we should approach them. In one example I will discuss the Chief Blue Jacket legend that made its way into reputable history publications and historical fiction. I will also present a story from my own family: four brothers who took different surnames in the Russian Empire. In both cases documentary research is combined with DNA results to help evaluate the truth.

Hope those of you in the vicinity will be able to make it to one of the presentations!

2 comments:

  1. We were in email contact several years ago regarding Lubin and Ida Malzman's marriage to Isidore Bauman, my father's brother. In the interim I have discovered two major connections, one of them quite by accident. I plan to be at the Silver Spring meeting on Sunday and look forward to meeting you in person. Al Bauman--bauman@erols.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I look forward to meeting you and hearing about what you have discovered!

      Delete

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!